Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy New Year!

Hello again dear eco-enthusiasts.....I hope your holiday was as fun filled and joyful as mine was! Being surrounded by friends and family is always such a great way to remember what is truely important in life-RELATIONSHIPS, not things.
Now for the confession: we really overdid it with our three year old son. His birthday is two weeks before Christmas so we are already starting with a challange of the influx of gifts in such a short period of time. But this year I decided to be "clever" and shop early so as to spread out the expense over a period of several months. Great idea for the most part, except I had forgotten what gifts I had already bought for my little guy. So, when it came time to wrap birthday gifts....I simply saved a few of those extra  for Christmas. Problem was, I had already gotten him gifts for Christmas! And so did everyone else! I had sort of not thought about that. Well, Christmas morning was quite an affair, but the next morning, my son expected MORE! My heart sank. The result: trying to explain to a three year old that just because he has been showered with gifts for two weeks strainght, does not mean this is the new NORMAL in our house! Right then and there my husband and I resolved to be more aware next year. ONE gift from each family and hopefully not even that-I will be giving him an experience instead of a gift. Seems like that has so much more of the meaning and spirit of Christmas! It seems he is young enough still to instill this ideal as something special, not as a deprevation.
We'll see, I am hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment